In our last session of ‘A Beginner’s Guide’ we looked at the topic of human remains on archaeological sites.
In this episode of ‘Material World’ from BBC Radio 4, the presenter interviews two archaeologists about the impact of the Burial Act 1857 upon archaeology.
Further reading which may be of interest includes:
- Human Remains Advice (English Heritage)
- Human Osteoarchaeology (English Heritage)
- Human Remains (Church Care)
- BAJR guides including a Basic Overview for the Recovery of Human Remains from Sites Under Development and A Field Guide to the Excavation of Inhumated Remains
- Burial Act 1857 (Legislation.gov.uk)
- Disused Burial Grounds (Amendment) Act 1981 (Legislation.gov.uk)
- The Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) (US National Parks Service)